Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Collette Sorbetto top

My first Collette Sorbetto
Because what the heck kind of blogger would I be if I hadn't made this top yet??  I actually made this a couple of months ago.  Since returning to sewing, I had been unaware of downloadable patterns.  After seeing this top on pattern review and in the Best Patterns of 2011 article, I had to try it.  So I downloaded and printed the pattern...from Collette Patterns blog and cut it out, taped it together, and off I went.  I made one version out of a vertically pleated silky fabric that I'd had in my stash for quite a while.  It was a wadder (I really need to do a giant post with wadders, I'm starting to feel better about just chucking them though)   I had eyed this blue/white silky shantung for quite awhile at Jo-Ann, and when I spied a remnant for about $2.00 I grabbed it, not know what I'd do with it.  I had considered a skirt...but when I saw the pattern pieces and the fabric was 58", figured I could squeeze it out.

After looking at the photo, the next version will have about 2 inches added to the length, and I'm going to lower the dart and angle it upwards a bit.  From other reviews I've read, this is a common adjustment.


Here's my review from Pattern Review

 Pattern Description: The most popular free pattern in all of the land!!
 Pattern Sizing: 00-22? It seems to run a little big, I cut the 22 and cut several inches off each side. This seems to be an ongoing thing with me...body dismorphic much??
 Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? yes Were the instructions easy to follow? I didn't follow them 
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? It is a little short for me, but no problems, I'll be making it again in a longer length soon. 
Fabric Used: This was a remnant piece I bought at Jo-Ann. I have always loved blue and white floral patterns like this for some reason.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I did gathers at the front rather than pleats, my husband does the laundry and wouldn't have wanted to fold/iron those pleats back in place every time he washed it. I also made my own bias tape. In my next version, I'll add a little shape to the sides, because I think the added length might make it a little sack-like without it.
Would you sew it again? Yes!
Would you recommend it to others? Yes! Conclusion: Nice, woven, sleeveless top pattern.


I picked up another remnant of the same fabric the other day, not sure what it is keeping me from actually buying some yardage off the bolt, it's been 50% off for quite awhile.  

No comments:

Post a Comment