Monday, July 16, 2012

Butterick 5496- So cute my daughter wants one!

Butterick 5496
Butterick 5496 is a Loose-fitting, below hip or mid-thigh length, pullover tunics A, B, C, D have kimono sleeves, neckline variations, sleeve variations, side slits, elastic waistline casing and stitched hems.


Sorry for the light in the picture, it was taken this morning as I was about to head out to work, so I had hubby snap it.


I made view C, because a) I favor a v-neck over the round neck, and b) I'm lazy and it looked like it would go together quickly, and c) I like the seaming down the center.


Fabric: A black chiffon with printed dots in pink and brown that I purchased at SAS Fabrics last spring.  


It is HOT where we live, and until this year, I've never really done a good job of dressing for the heat.    For some reason, sewing with really light weight fabrics seemed quite intimidating, until I read a couple of articles about working with chiffons and georgettes..slippery stuff.  The biggest take aways were to use a machine with even feed (got it) and/or a serger (got that too), cut the fabric out carefully, mark and pin like a crazed woman and just go for it.   I might add my own tip for chiffon....starch the crap out of it when you are pressing hems...it washes out, and stabilizes everything to make it easier to sew.


I had the L-XL-XXL envelope, and as I was cutting and caught a glimpse of the finished measurements, thought it might be a little too billowy if I continued with the XL that I was cutting, so I changed gears and cut the L.


I love, love, love the way the neckline is bound first with bias tape, then the front seam is sewn.  Makes for a nice finish.   Also the sleeves have 5 inch slits on the underside, so with a cami, this makes for a nice outfit.


I had a little trouble with the elastic, but it was me, not the pattern.  I think I bought 1/4" black, and after sewing the bias tape on, it was a  little bit small of a channel to put the black thru.  No worries, I just switched to clear and it worked out fine, I think it's more comfortable that way anyhow.


The title of the post comes from my 16 year old daughters reaction when I put it on for her, she said.. "I want one!! That's so cute!!"  which I consider to be my ultimate compliment!


I will definitely be making this again, I have a piece of black bubble gauze that I think would be super comfy, and of course one for the daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment