Monday, July 23, 2012

Out of print- Simplicty pattern, simply sewing for fun..

I've sewn more this year than I have since I actually worked in the industry.  I spent 10 years of my life working for THAT big fabric store, and the first seven, were in the small format store, and I loved to sew when I worked there.  Despite putting in 45+ hours a week, I was still re-charged enough from the creative energy of my customers and the constant flow of new product, that I had the energy to go home and sew countless dresses and clothes for my children after they had gone to sleep and on weekends.    The last three years were spent in a "Super" store, and fulfilled?? not so much.  Cancer brought the blessed end to my career there, and it has taken me a few years, 6, in fact, to be able to sew lots without thinking of "that place"


Let's move on.  I've had this pattern in my stash, for many, many years.    I think I bought it thinking I'd make the cute halter style top.  Didn't happen.  Well, over the weekend, I started on a Vogue dress, turned out to be a wadder (do people blog those?? maybe I should) and still wanted to sew, so I cut this puppy out.  I had the orange fabric in my stash, and opted for view C.   I cut the size 21/22, because I was feeling really bloated that day and was hoping it would fit!  I didn't feel like digging around for some soft silky lining fabric, so I just grabbed a couple of pieces of random cotton from my stash (these were from the estate sale of a fabric collector- bless her)  and used them instead.  There wasn't enough of one fabric, so the front lining is one fabric and the back is another.... that's just how I roll.    Anyway, turns out it was plenty big enough! So big, that I took in about 1.5" on each side and still didn't need the zipper.    The shoulders are a little wide, but it actually is kind of a cute top.  I can see making it again, but I'd cut the bottom on the bias, and narrow it up a bit in the shoulders.  I liked that it covers my boobage, but is still cool enough for our hot weather.  You can't see it in the picture, but it's a longer length, with slits on the sides.   I cut the shorts pieces out, but haven't tried them yet.   Hmm..changes I made...I was in a hurry to finish it so we could leave to take my daughter to camp, so instead of bias binding the edges, I turned them under and stitched.  Also, as mentioned above, I left out the zipper.




No comments:

Post a Comment